Name: Thomas Davis + Justice, the dog
Location: Virginia Highland; Atlanta, Georgia
Size: 1100 square feet
Years lived in: 2 years
Conveniently located next to Atlanta's popular BeltLine, Thomas has lucked out on a spacious condo that is both great for entertaining and a cozy night in. He's stayed true to his love for simplicity and nature, and has achieved a modern look with a personal and inviting feel.
I came across his place while over for the Lantern Parade that marches along the BeltLine, and with Thomas's convenient location, the view was magnificent! We all had front row seats as we watched the parade from above. However, the parade wasn't the only thing that captured my attention. The way that Thomas's place seemed so warm while staying alive and fun in its modern decor had to be admired. He explained that he works in landscape architecture, and loves clean lines and cool tones. Throw in a love for music and nature, and voila, a home is born.
Every item seemed to have significance, ranging from the framed elephant constructed out of African butterfly wings (a gift from the Vatican) to a Rembrandt print that has traveled with him from his nursery to now. And, of course, there's Thomas's adorable half German Shepherd, half Golden Retriever roommate, Justice, to keep things entertaining. Thomas's home is definitely a fine example of filling your home with things you love while keeping it fresh and simple.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Midcentury minimalist.
Inspiration: Planet Earth. Simplicity. My background is architecture and landscape architecture. Grey is my favorite color, so I tend to mix cool tones with natural wood.
Favorite Element: It's tough to say. I enjoy the two-story living space, the natural light, and the balcony space.
Biggest Challenge: Vacuuming the dog hair. And, finding the right places to display art and plants.
What Friends Say: Your house is so "you." That, or "it's so tranquil."
Biggest Embarrassment: Swimming in a shallow layer of dog hair and dust, haha.
Proudest DIY: The container garden on the balcony.
Biggest Indulgence: My California King bed. Or, my diplomas... Those were EXPENSIVE!
Best Advice: Reduce clutter as much as possible and simplify. Stick to a consistent material and color palette that you love.
Dream Sources: I love modern design, but can't afford all that yet. But, I also love to mix in vintage pieces and art from my friends.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Behr ultra pure white on all the walls
- Baseboards and moldings are a brighter acrylic white
- Sisal runner, bench, coat rack, and flower pot - ikea
- Satellite photo of San Francisco - DeYoung Museum, San Francisco
- Prints - Hot Chip Album Art, Major Lazer Album Art
- Autographed Erykah Badu Portrait - Original print with gold stippling advertising her concert in Oakland
- LOVEHATE Print - Urban Outfitters
- Belafonte Print - Familytree
- Picasso Print, "Mujer con Mantilla" - Picasso Museum, Spain
- Cowhide rug - ikea
- Framed Elephant - it's made of African butterfly wings, it was a gift from the Vatican when I sang there
- Driftwood with crystals on wall - Mac Ballentine, San Francisco
- Sectional - Intaglia, Atlanta
- Bookshelf - from my neighbor, Howard
- Coffee Table - My grandmother's from the 1940's
- Throw - Urban Outfitters
- Vases - CB2
- LOSS CAT Print - R. Land, Atlanta Artist
- Plants and Live Arrangements - Avant Gardener, Atlanta
- Mask on Wall - Costa Rica
- Various Atlanta Art
- Table and Chairs - Intaglia, Atlanta
- Mounted Tapestry on wall - Vlisco Fabrics, Netherlands
- Bicycle - Atlanta Cycling
- Painting/Installation - Howard of Howard, Atlanta
- Antique chest of drawers - 19th Century, Ireland
- Hookah - Tunisia
- Live Arrangement - Avant Gardener, Atlanta
- Dymaxion Map - Buckminster Fuller
- Bedding - Cashmere Throw from the Tibetan Gift Corner, Haight-Ashbury
- Lamps - Ikea
- Tables - 19th Century Ireland
- Rembrandt print, "The Anatomy Lesson" - was in my nursery when I was born. My dad's a doctor.
- Photographs of Arches and Zion National Parks - taken by my brother, given as a gift
- Balcony Containers - Aw Pottery, Atlanta
- Furniture and Pillows - Target
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!