Most furniture has four legs. But you know what's absolutely genius? Those designs with three legs. Four legs must be absolutely even in order to sit solidly upon the floor. Three legs, however, will always find their solid, happy place all on their own.
The three-legged design just makes sense for tables, chairs, and stools. Here are some of our long-standing faves and a few new finds:
• 1 the grand-daddy: Alvar Aalto's Model 60 stool for Artek
• 2 Offcut Stool by Tom Dixon
• 3 This three-legged hall table by David Gates is a handmade, sculptural work of art.
• 4 another classic: Hans Wegner's ch07 Lounge
• 5 James Irvine's X3 by Swedese folds, too, making it perfect for small places.