Leather is one of those luxurious DIY materials that produces expensive-looking projects and feels good to work with. The secret to getting really soft leather, without spending a pretty penny? Look for those old, ugly overstuffed sofas that have seen better days, and which can be found in thrift stores for super cheap.
Here are seven great projects to inspire you:
1. Above, a square DIY ottoman (or pouf if you like) sewn by Brittany Makes.
2. A slouchy leather tote bag with black and white stripes, from Kristi Murphy.
3. One of the more impressive projects, in my mind: a leather and wood safari-style bench from Mandi at Vintage Revivals, using materials from an old recycled couch.
4. Manmade DIY took an IKEA outdoor beach chair and transformed it into a sleek leather sling chair that works well indoors instead.
5. If you only have a few scraps leftover from another project, use what you've got to appliqué a pillow in a geometric pattern, like this one from Keightly Studio.
6. This grey round ottoman, or "gumdrop pillow" was made using an Amy Butler pattern by The Proper Pinwheel.
7. Another modern and textured pillow, using pink leather, this time from A Beautiful Mess.
(Image credits: Brittany Makes; Kristi Murphy; Vintage Revivals; Manmade DIY; Keightly Studio; The Proper Pinwheel; A Beautiful Mess)