- Tiffany and Alan
- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Our home was once the parlor of an old ship captain's home that was built in the 1800s, so it has a lot of rich history and architectural details that we fell in love with the second we set foot in the space. The big windows that bring in a ton of natural light, the high ceilings with crown molding, and the working fireplace that's been a tad more essential than the novelty we originally thought are just a few of the old world features and quirks that we love so much.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Proportions are key! We knew we didn't have a lot of space so we learned to scale down. Instead of purchasing full size furniture we took pieces from a set, we chose smaller sized chairs, and saved our oversized items for the walls to highlight the vertical space, of which we luckily have ample amounts.
2. Be efficient! For us, having a dining room table was a top priority - but the lack of space made things challenging. So we came up with space efficient solutions to ensure we still got our dining room table: using low benches, custom creating a skinny table, and having 4 legs instead of our originally desired sawhorse legs.
3. Keep things fresh! You can basically see every part of our home in one quick glance, so sometimes our eyes get tired of looking at the same thing. Don't be afraid to change things up a bit - anywhere from changing your duvet cover to a simple weekly switch up of fresh flowers!
More posts in Small Cool 2014
ATVideo of the Day