Sleek glass tiles may be all the rage, but patterned tiles are replete with personality. Take your inspiration from these preppy spaces at La Minervetta Hotel in Italy and create a space that's both classic and eye-catching. This much tile is a commitment, but it's also an artistic and beautiful way to add color and pattern to your space. Since it may be a bit pricey, it's best done in a home you plan on staying in for a while. If you love pretty tiles but don't want to spend a lot, you can always use some as an accent — over the sink, on a narrow wall by a door, or in a small bathroom. As La Minervetta shows, if the tiles are cool enough, they'll look great regardless of how many you put up.
1. Patterned plates compliment and connect two different tile patterns, creating an eclectic look.
2. Gingham-patterned tiles extend from the floor up the back wall in this fresh kitchen.
3. Striped tiles are turned sideways above the tub to create a complimentary pattern.
4. A bit of tile stands out on inset nooks.
5. An art collection and modern light look casually cool against a cobalt-and-white wall.
Images: La Minervetta