Name: Tilly (1)
Location: Portland, Oregon
Tilly's room is the smallest room of the house. I started collecting ideas for Tilly's nursery as soon as we found out I was pregnant. We chose to not find out the gender, so I wanted to design a room that could be fairly gender neutral.
We had just bought our first home a few months before, and were getting pretty lazy by that time about painting walls, so we chose to keep the walls the same color. The shelves in the room were even there when we bought the house! We painted the closet with chalkboard paint, and I painted the inside of the closet yellow for a pop of color. The room is small at 10'x10', so using as much wall space as storage was important.
Portland isn't the sunniest of cities, so having a room that would welcome light was important. However, we wanted a space that could be cozy for nap and bed times too. We never had a "theme" per say, but wanted a space that had a vintage look with pieces that could grow with the baby. We didn't have a strict budget, but being two grad students at the time, we knew we didn't have a lot of money to spend. Most of the items are second hand, items from our own childhoods, or hand made by me. We got a lot of inspiration from other rooms featured on Apartment Therapy, such as the book racks.
- Balloon mobile- DIY from a printable pattern bought on Etsy
- Embroidered cats- Custom printed pattern from kirikipress on Etsy, I embroidered these to look like our cats Linus and Lucy (who has one eye)
- Cuckoo clocks- these were clocks my mom bought for me as a young girl when she visited Switzerland in the 80's!
- Big rocking chair- my husband's family rocking chair driven all the way from Ohio by Tilly's grandparents
- Little rocking chair- also my husband's childhood rocking chair
- Mirror and dresser- bought from a sweet elderly man off Craigslist, who we helped with his computer when we went to pick it up and now field IT questions over the phone from time to time.
- Crib- Craigslist
- Quilt- made by grandma
- Rug- IKEA PS 2014
- Table- World Market
- Owl lamp- JC Penney
- Stained glass window hanging- bought at a craft fair