- Chicago, IL
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love how relaxing my home is. Being situated near the beach, my goal was to capture that same calming quality; be it the soothing colors, soft textures, simple lines, or natural elements. I also surround myself with images, paintings and plantings that have a peaceful memory.
Additionally, I love how the introduction of bold color and plants brings life to the space, especially during the cold winter months. I recently moved to Chicago from San Francisco, and knew that I would be most happy in a space that felt lively year round.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Think about your space as a continuous, flowing line. The longer you can have your eye follow that one line, the larger the space will feel. For example, I designed long rugs out of carpet samples to tie different zones together, placed all of my artwork at the same eye level, and hung tapestry floor-to-ceiling to complete the movement from top to bottom. In summary, keep it light and connected to make the space feel larger.
2. Buy or make items that are functional, flexible and comfortable. If they aren’t at least two of these, they won't be used and will take up space. I recently increased the height of my dining table by adding layers of plywood under the tabletop for a more comfortable dining height, but generally have the table up against the wall to house my record player.
3. Play music, constantly. Whatever style of volume you find comfortable. It will force you to enjoy your home, and will help you realize that you can be happy living simply in a small space.