Here’s our rough guide to making that moment go a little more smoothly. For even greater ease, have the cash folded up and at the ready.
- Small moves: $10-$20 for small moves, 1 mover, 1-10 items and nothing over 20 lbs.
- Large and difficult moves (stairs, narrow doorways, small elevators, odd furniture or appliances, large heavy boxes): $20-$50 for large and difficult moves Decide if you’re splitting the tip or if you want to tip each mover individually.
- Furniture or Large Appliance Delivery: $5-$10. Tip more if the delivery is large or awkward or if the piece requires assembly.
- Building Handyman: Tip optional. We suggest tipping if they've gone above and beyond the call of duty and provided great service: if they came out at an odd hour or completed a job that prevented you from calling in a more expensive professional.
- Electricians, Plumbers, Painters, and other professionals: Tips are not expected; their fee covers their work. Offer them a cool drink instead. We’ve only tipped when the service has been exceptional: the electrician who not only installed our chandelier but strung all its crystals; the plumber who unclogged our drain and fixed our medicine chest when he noticed it was loose on its hinges
- Good Questions: Good Moving Company?
- Our Best Moving Tips
- Where to Live Hip in LA?
- Look Before You Leap: <10 Tips Before You Start Your Home Project
[Image courtesy Morgue File]