2) Use different textures throughout the space - maybe a shag rug, wooden frames and glass side tables. These accents also provide weight without the physical size of furniture.
3) Design your lighting so it not just provides light for the space but so it spotlights certain decor as well. This will add extra form and design to an accent piece - say artwork on the walls.
4) Work with both the lines and height of the furniture, decor and the room, itself. In the 1st photo in this post, the horizontally placed picture is balanced with the length of the glass console table. In the 2nd photo pictured, harmony is found with the accents that are randomly placed because they share similar height as well as the propeller matching the lines of the console.
5) Along these lines, really consider scale in the space. If you have floor-to-ceiling window treatments on one side of the room, place vertical items on the other - say a tall indoor tree or art work that hangs at a similar level of the window.
What other ways do you balance your decor at home? Share your tips below.
Check out more home design ideas from Apartment Therapy:
- Window Shopping Inspires Home Design
- Trending: Innovative Wallpaper Designs
- Design Trends Here To Stay