Luxury designer Sandra Espinet decorated Brooke Burke and David Charvet's Malibu home in an all-white Christmas theme for HGTV's one-hour special, "Celebrity Holiday Homes." Her fantasy design included white floral arrangements, white candies and cookies, and even a few special surprises waiting in the backyard. Sandra's designs are elaborate and over the top, but can also be recreated on a smaller budget.
Sandra's tips for designing your own winter wonderland are included below.
- White Furniture Slip Covers: Rent or purchase white slip covers for your furniture. You can also use sheets or fabric to achieve this look. You won’t have to worry about spills since you’ll be removing the slipcovers after your holiday party. Accessorize with white throw blankets and decorative pillows. Sandra used silver and white pillows in Brooke and David's home.
- Decorate Wreath and Mantle with White Accents: Sandra placed a wreath above the fireplace mantle and covered the mantle in garland, which is accented with white ribbons and decorative elements in white and silver. She used silver reindeer statues on each side to create balance.
- Matching Stockings: Use matching stockings on your mantle for your holiday party. A chic line of matching stockings will look beautiful. If your family has personalized stockings, you can always have them on hand for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning.
- Cover the Dining Table with a White Linen: Cover a buffet or dining table in a white tablecloth or other white fabric. Visit your craft store and choose something with a great texture or use what you have already at home! Sandra also added silver placemats to add drama.
- Display Clear Glass Containers and Vessels: Gather all the clear glass containers and vessels from around your home or purchase some inexpensive ones. Sandra used clear glass jars with lids (for foods that needed to be kept fresh) and many containers of different shapes and sizes to create visual interest. Use dishes, bowls, vases, platters – and don’t forget a fabulous glass or crystal pitcher for some egg nog! Haul out your cake stand or punch bowl as well.
- White Holiday Treats: Arrange glass containers and vessels on your table and fill with an assortment of white colored holiday foods. Sandra used popcorn, marshmallows, white chocolate covered strawberries, vanilla iced cupcakes, and white sugar cookies with white frosting and silver decorations. Use a variety of foods for maximum effect and satisfied holiday guests.
- Hang Tree Decorations: Sandra hung tree decorations and other charms like glass balls and jewels from the ceiling and chandelier.
The holiday special airs again on December 15th, so be sure to set your DVRs.
MORE INFO: Celebrity Holiday Homes 2010 and Sandra Espinet
Images: Photos courtesy of HGTV and Sandra Espinet