Whether it's one roommate or four, an apartment or a dorm, creating your own sense of privacy can go a long way in keeping you sane. Here are some tips to help you obtain some solitude even in a crowded space:
• Divide large spaces with furniture. Using shelves or wardrobes or even tables, you can create privacy in larger, open floor plan rooms.
• Use curtains to surround yourself. You can use curtains to surround your bed, divide up a room, or even create a private little cubicle around your desk.
• Headphones are your friends. Whether you want to blast music or just block out your roommate's snoring, noise blocking headphones can become your new best friend.
• Sleeping masks aren't just for princesses. If you're sensitive to light or have a light-happy roommate, strap on a sleep mask.
• Have a little light of your own. Keep task lighting near a bed, desk, or favorite chair. You can light up your little world while the rest of the apartment dwells in darkness.
• Schedule some alone time. It may take a little coordination but if you're sharing a small space with one or more people, try to work out a time when each of you can have the space to yourself. Even if it's only an hour, everyone appreciates alone time.