- To organize your junk drawer, dump everything onto a surface so you can see it.
- Clean out the inside of your drawer.
- Throw out or recycle anything you don't use. Be ruthless; you don't need to hang onto that empty matchbook just because it's pretty.
- Move anything that belongs in another place to its proper home. For example, file those receipts that you stashed in the junk drawer or move those extra screws to your toolbox.
- Organize items. Group like items together and use a drawer organizer or a set of small containers to hold each set of items. (Simple household things like ice cube trays can make great organizers in a pinch.)
- To keep your junk drawer organized, get rid of small items you don't need or use on a regular basis. Don't give junk a place to live in your home.
- If you're a packrat and you just can't help but have a junk drawer, remember to weed it every couple of months so it doesn't get out of control.
Photo: See Jane Work