It's August and that means summer will be drawing to a close soon; just a few more weekends until September. Growing up this was always a bittersweet time for me. I was excited to start the new school year and see old friends, but who wants to give up carefree days spent poolside? To squeeze out the last bit of summer before the school starts, check out our tips below.
- Plan a vacation for August. This is a tradition for our family. Even if we go away earlier in the season, we always make sure we have at least one more getaway to look forward to in August.
- Keep a pitcher of your favorite drink on hand. Cool down with fresh homemade lemonade, iced tea or smoothies. Make everyday a celebration.
- Throw a party. Summer is perfect for casual entertaining. Throw an ice cream party, popsicle party, or make your own pizza party. There always seems to be more time in the summer when schedules aren't as packed, days are longer, and bedtimes are pushed a bit later.
- Eat fruit. Visit your farmer's market and buy as much summer fruits as you can. On a hot day, we sometimes skip a traditional lunch and have watermelon and stone fruits until our bellies are full.
- Have a clambake. Whether you're at the beach, the lake or in your own kitchen, assemble the ingredients for a clambake and make an easy one pot dinner to be eaten over a newspaper-covered table.
- Play tourist. Be a tourist in your own city for the weekend and hit some popular sites you have yet to visit.
Image: Sam's Chowder House