It's been really fun keeping an eye on the latest offerings of apps for kids and exciting to observe the trend of app developers putting more effort into their visual style, often by using artwork by notable artists like Charley Harper and Eric Carle. If you're on the hunt for new ones to check out for your kids, here are a few aimed at toddlers and pre-schoolers that we find particularly stylish.• Peekaboo Forest. Notable for incorporating Charley Harper's artwork. (Although beautiful, my 2.5 son found this app too slow and the animals too small to easily touch). One to watch: developer Night and Day Studios is currently at work on an app using Richard Scarry art!
• Intro to Math, Intro to Letters and Alpha Write by Montessorium. "Old School Meet New School"
• My Very First App uses Eric Carle's universally loved artwork in a matching colors game.
• HappyBaby app uses fruits and vegetables to learn the alphabet (they even found something to represent "x").
• Paper Town Friends: quite possibly the cutest app ever. Young toddlers may need help putting outfits on these paper friends, but they'll have fun choosing what they should wear.
• Fans of Todd Parr's books will want to check out the My Underwear app.