Toddler Plays with USB Cable, Ends up in Hospital

Toddler Plays with USB Cable, Ends up in Hospital

Eee058b3188ecfedf6381b6a529a2f4b360e8b3c?w=240&h=240&fit=crop
Taryn Williford
Jan 8, 2010

Our wires and peripheral cables have become so commonplace that it's easy to forget that they're as dangerous to children as wall outlets are. Sadly, they're rarely "baby proofed."

A Colorado toddler was playing with a USB cable plugged into a laptop and suffered third-degree burns on her tongue, palate and lips.

The family believes the toddler put the cable in her mouth while her mother, who was working on the plugged in laptop at the time, wasn't looking. The girl was found face down and limp and was rushed to the hospital. From Colorado Daily:

[Her grandfather] said the family decided to go public with the story, even though talking about it is painful, because they had no idea a USB cable -- which typically carries just 5 volts -- could be so dangerous, and they want other families to know.

We can all learn from this tragedy and take necessary steps to baby-proof all of our electronics. Make sure children are kept away from all live wires and outlets. When you're through with a cord (like the phone charger), unplug it, even if it's "out of reach." You can never be too safe.

Via Gizmodo

(Image: Flickr user found_drama under license from Creative Commons.)



MORE KID-PROOFING:

Created with Sketch.