We've got two indoor cats and we find it strangely fulfilling to figure out the healthiest and smartest ways to care for them. It's sort of silly. They're pretty low-impact as it is. They bathe in their own saliva (gross, sorry); they eschew almost all material possessions; they use zero electricity and run in fear/disgust of the vacuum and hair dryer. Still, here are some of their favorite products (please add to the list!)...
• World's Best Cat Litter: We purchased this after reading all the comments on our Biodegradable Kitty Litter post. What a delight! It clumps well and there is no awful, noxious dust.
• Castor & Pollux Organix Adult Cat Food: We can't even explain the gusto with which the cats switched from their old food to this brand. There was much purring and excitement involved.
• Pooch Pick-Up Biodegradable Bags: Yes, they're marketed toward dog owners, but they work great for litter clean-up. Our litter is flushable, but the plumbing won't tolerate such stunts.
• Kittypod: We don't own one of these, but we like them. They're a bed, they're a scratching post, they're cardboard (recyclable), and they're better looking than the ugly carpeted thing we currently employ.
• Balls of previously used tin foil = a form of recycling and hours of cat fun.
What green products do your cats love?
Image via AT:LA
Originally published 2007-11-08 - CB