Not to be a a nag, but could we be so bold to remind you there's less than a week left for holiday shopping? We practically did all our shopping in one day and on one street, so we're personally good to go. But we know...sometimes you've got to feel the heat of pressure to really get moving during these hectic last days of the year. To help ease the stress, we've compiled a list of our favourite local home gift shops to help you wrap up the rest of your holiday shopping:
- Kelly Green Design + Home: One of the new kids on the block, Kelly Van Patter's eco-design themed store is a destination for green-friendly stocking stuffers in Silver Lake's Sunset Junction. And check out the building material sample table in the back center...lots of fun to look through.
- Museum of Contemporary Art Gift Shop: filled with art prints, design objects and books galore, we've rarely left the MOCA gift shop without something that caught our eye (and emptied our wallets)
- Giant Robot/GR2/GR Silver Lake: graphical print pillows, original artwork and prints, stationery from Japan and an assortment of miscellaneous objects unparalleled. If you're looking for "unique", these are your stores.
- SHOW: A small shop with a big eye for the best in home decor accessories. Brad of SHOW keeps his shop constantly updated with many of the objects of desire we post on AT. And he also happens to be one of the friendliest store owners we know.
- Reform School: Another Sunset Junction shop, next door to Kelly Green. Reform School's inventory appeals to the teacher's pet and the troublemaker in all of us, with a notable focus on local designers and artists.
- Fitzsu Society: with locations in Melrose, Pasadena and Palm Springs, Fitszu Society is housewares heaven. If you can't find something here, you're darn picky.
- Plastica: not everything is made of plastic at this 3rd St. favourite, but this gift boutique will especially appeal to those unafraid of vibrant colours and tactile modern shapes.
- Wacko: When all else fails, we end up at Wacko for gifts. Some would say the store is kitschy, and we won't argue, with aisles and aisles of art books, tikki wares, outsider art and miscellaneous objects of curiosity that bombard the senses.
- Zipper: on the eastern end of 3rd Street's shopping district, Zipper is an upscale gift shop with an eclectic mix of decorative items, furniture, books, paper goods, toys, bath and body, and jewelry.
- HD Buttercup: our city's one storied version of ABC Carpet in NYC, this 100,000-sq.-ft showroom showcases an eclectic mix of modern and ethnic furnishings and home accessories...a one stop furnishings destination (with the bonus of some of LA's best new restaurants nearby).
Kelly Green Home + Design 4008 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90029 MOCA Gift Shop 250 S Grand Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90012 Giant Robot/GR2/GR Silver Lake 2015/2062 Sawtelle Boulevard Los Angeles, CA, 90025 + 4017 Sunset Blvd Los Angeles, CA, 90029 SHOW 1722 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles, CA, 90027 Reform School 4014 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles, CA, 90027 Fitzsu Society 7970 Melrose Ave Los Angeles, CA, 90046 + 65 W Green St. Pasadena, CA, 91105 Plastica 8405 W 3rd St. Los Angeles, CA, 90048 WACKO 4633 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA, 90027 Zipper 8316 W 3rd St. Los Angeles, CA, 90048 HD Buttercup 3225 Helms Ave. Los Angeles, CA, 90034 Utsuwa-No-Yakata 333 S Alameda St Los Angeles, CA 90013