It's all about the small shop. You won't find many chains here.
Here are our top picks on our virgin trip. The stores below are all deserving of a visit (most are available online as well).
• Habitat (4th arr - mult. locations)
Furniture & accessories from Terence Conran. A few rungs up from Ikea, with designs you've not seen.
• BHV (Pont Neuf by Hotel de Ville)
Wonderful everything department store. Check out the basement for endless French housewares and hardware, including emameled French signs.
Furniture & Housewares
• Noblesse Oblige (27 Rue de Bellchasse - 7th arr))
Small, high-end store selling exquisite European handmade furniture and glassware.
• Sentou (Marias - mult. locations)
Hip, modern shop that will wow you with color and curves. Very MoCo Loco.
• Galerie Triff (35 Rue Jacob - 7th arr)
Stunning kilims and ancient textiles...and the prices weren't bad.
• Les 2 Mille Feuilles (59 Rue des Francs-Bourgeois - Marais)
Super colorful French textiles & accessories that will make you happy.
• A. Simon (45 Rue Montmartre - 2d arr)
Too much fun restaurant supply. Find the real glasses and pitchers that grace the Paris bistros....
• E. Dehillerin (18 Rue Coquilliere - 2nd arr)
Insane French cook's restaurant supply. Find one-of-kind copper pots, knives and all other cooking utensils inside this old two story landmark.
• Argenterie (19 Rue de Turenne - Marias)
Antique silver and silverplate shop filled to the brim. Find old placesettings in classic European patterns.
• Papier Plus (9 rue du Pont Louis-Phillipe)
Paper & notebooks in bright French colors. Good shopping for cheap thrills.
• Monastica (11 rue du Pont Louis-Phillipe)
Artisanal products from French monasteries, including cups, bowls, bags, candles and honey. This is a very peaceful and beautiful store.