The name of the creative agency Scott Thrift co-founded tells you a lot about the man - it's called m ss ng p eces. The absence of the 'i' makes it a pain to type, but more importantly it also makes you stop and think - no mean feat in this Tweetdeck age of 140-word flashes. Thrift caught my attention with The Present - his awesome annual clock that tracks the seasons rather than every minute of the day. It's a nice visual reminder not to sweat the small stuff. Thrift's big picture thinking hit a note with the Kickstarter community where he launched the clock's prototype. Thrift aimed to raise $24,000 and has reached $54,242. And that's still with 16 more days to go. It's a pitch-perfect idea, but part of the clock's success is that it also happens to be a beautiful object. Thrift started out making videos for Cool Hunter and you can see by the clip below that he's got a great touch when it comes to putting moving images together. We checked in with Scott just as he was moving into a new apartment. So what tech makes the cut on this talented designer's Top 10 list? We think you'll be surprised!
1. Dimmers Lighting is everything, no really - it's everything - so I can't live in a place that isn't fully 'dimmable'. I installed this one today, it's easy - you can do it too.
2. BOTTA One Hand 24 Hour Watch I switched to 'military time' wit this watch (which I just call day time, no need to get ready for war when I look at my watch) about two years ago - once you go there for awhile, it's hard to come back. Who wants to see the same thing twice in one day anyways?
3. The faucet All you have to do is push up on a lever and bam! water. It's a miracle. (The attachment on the tap is so that I can oscillate between stream as you see it and spray, by pulling down - they are very common).
4. Earplugs I have sensitive hearing and have to use these every night to sleep - otherwise I'll stay up all night, listening...
5. Alternating Current It's always there for you, it never complains, it can kill you, it rules the entire country and it's elegant. I love it, don't you!?
6. A Great Screw Just bought these Spax brand screws - trust me it's worth paying extra - it's hard to overstate the benefits of a great screw.
7. Eye Hook Clasps Just realized how great these are and wanted to share their simplicity at keeping things together.
8. Doorknobs Ingenious, they create a gate between worlds - can keep people out or bring them in. And bonus! Every single one closes differently.
9. Custom Microchip for The Present Putting together another prototype of The Present this week - this is the custom chip I'll use to set it up - up close, it looks like hieroglyphics.
10. Velcro I recommend the tape (shown here) - I was into the dots for awhile, but I've moved on - make sure you use a hair dryer upon removal though - this stuff can peel off more than paint.