Some things never change. People have been giving piggy banks as gifts for generations. Actually, we discovered piggy banks originated from a word in Old English- "pygg"- a kind of orange clay people made into jars and dishes to hold spare change. Eventually someone clever or someone who just misunderstood, made one of these jars to look like an actual pig.
Today piggy banks still make great gifts and heirlooms, but be careful to keep loose money out of baby's reach. Here are our top ten.
• Amigo Leather Piggy Bank from Destination Buenos Aires, $45.00.
• Coink Piggy Bank, $30.00
• The Posh Pig, $16.00.
• Little Piggy Bank by artist David DeSalvo, $20.00.
• Large Silver Piggy Bank, $32.00.
• Money Savvy Pig, $15.99.
• Pretty Piggy, $26.00.
• Melissa & Doug Decorate Your Own Piggy Bank, $5.00.
• Oldies Piggy Bank, $28.00.
• Lunt Silverplate Piggy Bank, $30.00.