1. Part of a series that also includes Pine and Maple tree motifs, Toto's Waza Miyabi Plum tree toilet is a masterpiece you won't want to hide. From $6500.
2. Designed by Philippe Starck for Duravit, the Starck X line of bath fixtures and fittings includes a wall-mounted, floor-sitting, and close-coupled (think of a regular toilet) toilet, each of them modern, linear, and fabulous. From around $1400.
3. Geberit's new Monolith toilet comes in three glass-back colors: white, glass green, and black, and you can choose different toilet bowls to suit your taste. The price is around $1200, but since it has an integrated carrier system, it's incredibly simple to install, which could save you thousands in plumber's costs.
4. As you may have noticed, my taste skews a bit modern, but there are definitely beautiful traditional toilets out there, too, like this one designed by Michael S Smith for Kallista. Part of his Loft series, the toilet can be customized with a wood seat and a variety of luxurious handles. From $1289.
5. An obvious attempt to compete with Toto's Washlet series, Kohler's new Numi toilet is nonetheless a thing of beauty. It's simple design belies a host of possibilities including an integral bidet, air-dry, foot heater, and music! Pricing not yet available.
Would you ever give your toilet pride of place in your bathroom?