While reading an article about the National Book Festival recently held on the Mall, I came across some fighting words from participating author Jonathan Franzen. In his newest novel, Freedom, he writes, "The pedestrians in every neighborhood all seemed to have taken the same dowdiness pills. As if individual style were a volatile substance that evaporated in the vacuity of D.C.'s sidewalks and infernally wide squares."
Ouch. To demonstrate that not everyone who lives and/or works in the District goes home to a soulless place painted six shades of beige, I've gathered my favorite colorful shots from AT's DC metro area house tours.
6. Randy's Retro Redux
7. Rachael's Apartment Therapy-Inspired Design Lab
8. Beth and Bill's Soulful Straw Bail Retreat
9. Anna & Dan's White House Laundry Loft
10. Danielle's Story-Filled Home
11. Caitrin & Chris's "New Traditional" in Woodley Park
12. Kim's Personalized Mount Pleasant Flat
13. Supon's Vibrant Kalorama Oasis
14. Sara & Pete's Electric Prop House
15. Gretchen & Brad's Slice of Light