Last winter I converted our train table to a light table. While it can still be used as a train table, it sees the majority of action as a light table on these frigid winter days with their early sunsets. Our clear Magna-Tiles are mainstays, and we have been amassing other toys that are well suited for light play. Here are some recent favorites (you can get two of them at your neighborhood liquor store).
1. Color paddles ($9.31 from Amazon) are great for hands-on learning about color.
2. Plastic shot glasses ($8.24 from Punchbowl) are easily stacked, and they can be glued together to create new forms.
3. This Letter Construction Activity Set ($39.99, Learning Resources) consists of straight and curved lines that snap together.
4. Plastic stirrers ($3.99, Party City) are a cheap and popular addition to our light table arsenal.
5. Plan Toys water blocks ($40.49, moolka) promote color and shape play.
(Images: As credited above)