Name: Traci Fleming and her kids Mason and Piper
Location: South Pasadena, CA
Size:2300 square feet
Years lived in: 4 years — own
Traci Fleming, president of Nursery Works, shares an adorable three bedroom craftsman home with her son Mason and daughter Piper. This lovely family home has been refurbished and remodeled to honor the original architectural features. Traci entrusted her vision to the design savvy of Tamara Honey of House of Honey. Together they were able to bring together new modern touches to quite traditional features.
I have to agree with what Traci's friends say about their home — it is warm and inviting. This house has a really great family vibe and speaks to all the advantages of growing into a space. According to Traci, "the laughter of my kids, the bark of our dog June, and the squeak of our guinea pig, Daisy" are the most significant characteristics of their home. When Traci approaches the design of a space or home, she firmly believes in not subscribing to a particular theme or era, "Mix it up — new and old, vintage and modern. The mix is the master of design."
Living in a classic California style craftsman has been a great influence on the decor and characteristics of the space. "Definitely the year-round lifestyle has broadened the interior design of my home — it extends beyond the actual house onto the porches and into the yard. I have strung chandeliers outside, hung oil paintings on the porch, affixed mirrors onto the garage door. It is fun to create additional living spaces outside and use them — for meals, for play, for relaxing and enjoying our beautiful weather with friends and family."
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Modern with a touch of vintage whimsy.
Inspiration: We wanted something that felt very contemporary, with a whimsical and witty, slightly preppy edge. We mixed custom high-end and unique low-end pieces and lighting, both vintage and new, in an unexpected manner to create a livable yet very dramatic, almost theatrical feel. I think the design of the interior is sophisticated yet does not take itself too seriously. By mixing various styles and eras in a fresh and modern way and not pushing any one design trend, the home evokes a feeling of timelessness. The overall tone of the home reflects a sense of humor and style.
Favorite Element: The white oak floors.
Biggest Challenge: Preserving the heritage of a 100-year old Craftsman, but at the same time making it feel fresh and modern.
What Friends Say: That the home feels warm and vibrant and is a true reflection of our family's personality
Biggest Embarrassment: Painting the exterior the wrong color! And then having to start all over with the right one the next day…
Proudest DIY: there were several DIY touches in the kids' spaces — a corkboard area in the playroom for the children's art, a special reading nook complete with "flying" books, and a garage door made ready for the kids to cover with their own graffiti.
Biggest Indulgence: Vintage lighting throughout the house and a Julie Blackmon photograph in the Dining Room.
Best Advice: Keep a journal of the process — it is a great memory of your choices and inspirations and also a great way to keep a record of all your receipts, paint colors and sources. You never know when you might need to replace that doormat or touch up the paint in the kitchen!
Dream Sources: Circa Lighting, Madeline Weinrib, Anthropologie, Ebay, Rose Bowl Flea Market.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Dining room and Living room- Benjamin Moore "China White"
• Kitchen- Benjamin Moore "Decorator White"
• Piper's room- Benjamin Moore "Sunlit Coral" + "Coral Gables"
• Mason's Room- Wall "Monterey White" + Trim "Sycamore Tree"
• Kid's den- Wall "Horizon" + Trim "China White"
• Master bedroom- Custom grays + the trim in "Super White"
• Master bathroom- "cemento" + trim in "Super White"
• Kids bathroom- "Decorator white"
• House- "lead gray" + "Trim white"
• Paint- Custom
• Nook off the living room- "China" + Fireplace "Twilight Zone"
- • cowhide rug- Funnel
• Vintage capize coffee table- Jason Arnold for Modern
• X benches- Jonathon Adler custom
• Astrid chair- Anthropologie
• Thin framed cabinet/ burled wood- Lawson Fenning
• Sofa, Trousdale - Lawson Fenning
• Tulip floor lamps, tables vintage, re-worked and bronzed- Pasadena Antique Mall
• Chandelier by Thomas O'brien- Lawson Fenning
• Lattice cushions- Z Gallerie
• Vintage red Asian busts- Funnel
• Red lola accent tables by Interiors Home- Tonic
• Glass and wood French desk- Anthropologie
• Walnut and lacquer entry chest, Monoco Credenza, vintage red steel bamboo chair- Funnel
- • Dining table- Crate and Barrel
• Vintage century cane height back chairs reworked, lacquered white and Kravet fabric- Funnel
• Murano glass chandelier- Anthropologie
• Drape- Pottery Barn
• Cabache Sconces- All Modern
- • Pendant lights, middlebury- Fantasy lighting
• Carrera marble tabletop custom fabricated and honed Knoll style tulip banquette base- Room Service
• Banquette fabric, silver auto vinyl with patent leather buttons- Veterans LA
• Picture frames- Aaron Brothers
- • Headboard- Serena and Lily
• 60's Vintage Murano glass lighting-Jason Arnold for Modern
• Bedspread- Pottery Barn
• Mirror and chair, vintage - Funnel
• Rug byMadeline Weinrib and pink ikat- Calypso
• Vintage Asian coral bed side tables- Jason Arnold for Modern
• Bed cushions- John Ronshaw
• Ribbon trim for detail, rosey red- Calico Corner
• Tickle trunk with custom vinyl- Swanky Baby
- • Furniture- Nursery Works
• Rug, Madeline Weinrib/ Brooke Green- Calypso
• Orb pendant light/ Kovacs- Y Lighting
• Water lily painting- Dwell
• Reading nook pillow- John Robshaw
• Ribbon trim for details/ willow- Calico Corners
• Comforters- Target
KID'S PLAY ROOM/ DEN
- • Sofa- PB Teens
• Kartell fly suspension- All Modern
• Rug and side tables- Jonathon Adler
• Cushions- John Ronshaw
MASTER SUITE HALL
- • Mirror- Anthropologie
• Lighting, crystal drop ceiling mount- Lamps Plus
- • Drapery and hardware- Crate and Barrel
• Caged lantern with paper shade- Crate and Barrel
- • Overhead light, binary glass pendant- Niche Modern
• Sconces, mini King George- Circa
• Tile, Neutra Casa Mood- Tap N' Tile
• Cabinet hardware seco and shower glass in 'smoke'- Decorative Hardware
- • Baccarat pendant- Y Lighting
• Oval tile, star gazer- Waterworks
• Sink mirror, Antoinette- Pottery Barn
• Counter top and tub deck/ Corian (Glacier white), hanging marlin- Pottery Barn
- • Hoop chairs, yellow- Funnel
• White Asian garden stools- Z Gallerie
• Ceramic owl- Lily Simone
NOOK OFF THE LIVING ROOM
- • 60's Italian Murano glass sconces- Ebay
• Black leather poof- flea market
• Wooden kids stools- Z Gallerie
• Round mirror- William Sonoma
• Vintage mount credenza- Jason Arnold for Modern
• French lanterns- Lily Simone
• Vintage settee, Lacquered and reupholstered - Antique store pas
• Vintage regency end tables- Funnel
• Glass ball table lamp- Z Gallerie
- • Hanging peacocks, vintage- Rose Bowl flea market
• Yellow rug- West Elm
• Ceramic ram under desk- Vintage from Jason Arnold for Modern
• Desk is a dining table- Minotti
• Hanging ceramic pendant lantern- vintage from AD
• Desk chair, rocker- Nursery works
• Screens are reworked vintage- Flea Market
(Images: Bethany Nauert)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.