There is no doubt that streamlined, mid-century modern sofas and chairs are popular in Apartment Therapy House Tours. But, let's take a look at tours with living rooms outfitted with more traditional sofas and chairs. In many cases, the traditional seating provides the ideal contrast with modern accessories, lighting and textiles.
Traditional sofas and chairs can be vintage or antique styles, such as the wingback, camelback or Chesterfield, which can lend an eclectic or bohemian feel to a living room. Or the seating can be more contemporary and casual, like the standard comfy rolled arm couches found in most furniture chain stores like Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel. Sometimes a neutral and unimposing traditional couch is not only comfy but also just what is needed to draw attention elsewhere in the room: to dramatic artwork or the bold lines of a lamp or rug. In each of these homes, the traditional style of seating makes sense within the room and, as a result, never looks stodgy or uninspired.
• 1 Robert & Michaelina's Modern Bohemian Fusion. This magical and feminine tufted vintage sofa beautifully offsets the simple, modern lines of the canopy bed.
• 2 Tanya's Romantic Color Infusion. This sofa probably falls under the "transitional" category, with it's more streamlined version of the classic rolled arm.
• 3 Corina's Hollywood Glamour on a Budget. I love the tall straight arms of this sofa, which lend a more formal and elegant look.
• 4 Catrin and Chris's New Traditional in Woodley Park. This classic vintage camelback sofa from the 1920s has been covered with a fitted slipcover.
• 5 Catrin and Chris's New Traditional in Woodley Park 18th century French burgers upholstered in a neutral grey linen.
• 11 Emily's Infusion of Personality. Under the shadow of this dramatic artwork, a classic and understated traditional sofa works perfectly.
• 12 Chancie & Dan's Mt. Washington Oasis. Here two formal fauteuils nicely offset a very personal painting.
• 13 Healther's Eclectic Armadale Home. Here a classic sofa style gets a shabby chic, flea market edge with pretty floral pillows.