Room dividers can be a great way to section off a studio, but if you go for an opaque version, it can make a small space seem even smaller. The solution? Screens, curtains, and walls that allow light to filter through...FIRST ROW
- Use a beaded curtain to separate space in disco style. For sources, try the Shimmer Screen or the online selection at Wild Things.
- For a similar look, try a fringe curtain. This image comes from Living Etc, but you can find several options at Wild Things.
- Dan Forlenza's Translucent Room Divider System, an entry into the Apartment Therapy 2009 Design Showcase, is made from an aluminum frame with polycarbonate panels.
- Lucas' Stylish Studio uses the Cubit system to divide the bedroom from the rest of the apartment.
- Mia Cullin's Flake and Flower Room Dividers are made from modular Tyvek pieces. For more information, visit the manufacturer's site, Woodnotes.
- Takuya Hosokai and Hiromasa Mori's Kuro House uses curtains to divide space. For tips on how to hang a curtain room divider in your own home, see this post.
- The Sliding Door Company sells frosted glass panels that can be used to section off space between rooms.
- Vince outfitted his studio apartment with sliding doors from an IKEA wardrobe, and the results look just as good as a more expensive system.
- Tord Boontje's Until Dawn Curtain doesn't provide a ton of privacy, but it looks gorgeous hanging in a doorway or corner.
- The Self Shelves by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec are a colorful, modular system of storage that can be configured to divide two spaces. Shelves are manufactured and distributed by Vitra. For a DIY version using plexiglass, see this post.
• Good Questions: Translucent Room Divider?
• Top Ten: Room Dividers
• High & Low: Flexible Room Dividers
Photos: James Hotel, Living Etc, Dan Forlenza, Lucas, Woodnotes, Dezeen, Sliding Door Company, Vince, Artecnica, Isabel Truniger / Vitra