Valentine’s Day falls on a Friday, so wine bars, sushi spots and Fondue Stubes everywhere will be teeming with dimly-lit couples snapping kissy-face selfies over pots of melted cheese and sexy-themed maki rolls. It’s all very nice, it is — and very official, and maybe a little annoying. But a relaxing bath, a glass of wine, followed by snuggling under a soft blanket with your cutie (or your cute self!), some music or a movie, chocolates, a crackling fire, or any combination of these? It's the best.
You really don't need to do too much to put together a wonderfully cozy evening. Maybe pick up some special plates or new wine glasses, bring out nice napkins, simple fresh flowers (no roses needed), and whatever else makes you (and your partner-in-crime if you're a couple) happy — fine chocolates, bubble bath, a new record, or an extra-soft blanket.
Please add your suggestions below for a perfect cozy night at home!
- Burlap Heart Pillow ($27) from Etsy seller Amore Beaute
- Essence wine glasses from Hive ($40 for a set of 2).
- 'Tis the day for chocolate after all, so do it up with the best, like Vosges. And all will be right in your world, for a few minutes anyway.
- Playing records is one of the most intimate ways of experiencing music. Check out the Crosley Cruiser Portable Turntable ($79 on Amazon, available in a variety of colors), which offers the experience of vinyl with some added portability.
- Light a clean burning scented candle, like one from Apotheke ($30); beeswax candles are also great, or if you've had it up to here with all the $100 roses and jazzy prix-fixe menus everywhere, buy yourself one of these candles. Oh yes, I'm talking about the Figue. They're apparently equal parts impossibly delightful and rage-inducing. It's like the entire gamut of Valentine's Day emotions in candle form.
- You could also spend $63 and treat yourself to Relax bath oil from Aromatherapy Associates. You only need a dollop and you will feel blissful. Kiehl's Lavender Foaming Bath ($20) is also fantastic, as are Kneipp Herbal Bath Oils ($16).
- I'm picturing more of an assortment of elegant snacky foods to nibble on while the cozy night unfolds, and these warm and pretty Acacia Appetizer Plates from Sur La Table ($20 for set of 4) would be a nice special touch.
- Cloth napkins make any meal seem that much nicer. The earthy beauty of these red french ticking stripe napkins from Etsy seller UnOriginal Americain fits the special-cozy-night in profile perfectly.
- Earth Spirit Throw from One King's Lane ($95). Can I put it out there that a gift of a beautiful blanket should be the new long-stemmed roses? That feels so true.
- Maxwell and my mom agree: fresh flowers make any home feel happier. Just steer clear of the red roses and make your own simply styled arrangement to add a lot of beauty to your special evening at home.
Cooking a special meal doesn't have to mean preparing a heavy-duty four course dinner. There are so many fantastic small-plate options out there that are equally tasty and allow you to snack over the course of the evening and also play around with a variety of sweet and savory dishes. Add in a cheese and fruit board, some easy marinated olives, and you're ready to go.
- How to Assemble a Cheese Board Appetizer
- 10 Pretty Appetizers
- Roasted Feta with Fig-Thyme Compote
- Marinated Olives
- Buttery Steamed Mussels with Sake and Chiles
- Grilled Chicken Thighs with Apricot-Miso Glaze
- Smoked Salmon with Cream Cheese and Capers
- 15 Flatbreads
- Mushroom and Arugula Bruschetta
- A Trio of Dessert Cheeses
- Chocolate Covered Fruit Skewers
- Grilled Fruit Skewers with Spicy Maple Cumin Glaze
- 12 Creative S'mores (including salty caramel bacon s'mores!)
- "It's Only A Paper Moon" performed by Marvin Gaye.
- "Le Temps De L'amour" - Francoise Hardy
- "Ageless Beauty" - Stars
- "I Want You" - Bob Dylan
- "Favorite Star" - Quadron
- "Lovely Day" - Bill Withers
- "Fade into You" - Mazzy Star
- "Crazy Feeling" - Lou Reed
- "Always Something There to Remind Me" - Sandy Shaw (*original version that the 1980's hit by Naked Eyes is based on)
- "Always on my Mind" performed by Bahamas
- "Pernambuco" - Luiz Bonfa
- "Ring of Fire" - The Carter Family
- "Sailor Friends" - Sumie
- "On Melancholy Hill" - Gorillaz
- "Les Fleur" - Minnie Ripperton
- "Your Smile Cured Me" - Jay Farrar
- "Cover Me" - Bettye Swann
- "Retrograde" - James Blake
- "Just What I Needed" - The Cars
- "Our Way to Fall" - Yo La Tengo
- "Wanna Be On Your Mind" - Valerie June
- "Love Me Tender" performed by Caetano Veloso