From that moment on, I’ve been smitten with the inky, graphic quality of sea life illustrations (especially octopi). Something about the precision with which they’re rendered…like watery blueprints of the deep, they remind us of mysteries we have only yet begun to fathom. These days, it seems that others share my obsession, as tributes to these oceanic creatures are showing up everywhere. Join me, won’t you, in this deep dive through the fascinating world of biological art…under the sea.
Shown above, top row, left to right:
1. Lord Bodner's Octopus Triptych, in Blue, Natural Curiosities. Framed, Tonic Home $3550. Unframed, Outer Banks Trading Group $1650.
2.My Décor Ceramic Tiles, ceramica SANT’ AGOSTINO. Image: Elle Decoration FR
3. Sinister Jelly - Large Double, Etsy Shop - Sinister Sea $100
4. Spouting Whale Pencil Tray, John Derian $92
5. From The Deep Cup & Saucer, Anthropologie $14
Bottom row, left to right:
6.Set of Engravings by Ernst Haeckel, 1st Dibs $4800
7. Thomas Paul Seahorse Pillow in Indigo, All Modern $84
8. Thomas Paul Sea Life Coasters $16, and Thomas Paul Sea Life Dinner Plates $40, Velocity
9. Coaster - Sea Life - Vintage Dictionary Book Page Set of 4, Etsy Shop – Luna Clay Design, $15
10. Big Jellyfish – Vinyl Wall Art Decal, Ebay $34.95