This can be such an exciting time. We remember the move: tears, exhileration and...stuff. We had high hope for that first dorm room, but didn't have the tools (or Apartment Therapy) to really pull things off.
If we can give some advice:
- Overall, remember to have fun with whatever you try out in your dorm, you'll only be in that room for 9 months so you're not stuck with anything. If you make good use of the space you have plus craiglist, and you'll be living stylishly in no time.
- Be mindful about what you bring with you. Accumulation is a given, so don't be worried about having an empty dorm room, it will fill up quickly. So just bring the things with you that you love and use and leave the rest behind!
Some other resources to get you on your way:
- Yes, you'll have a roommate, so get ready to compromise, but if you can, try to stick to a color scheme. This will help the room to feel larger and more organized even when it's messy. This can be as simple as both having the same colors in your bedspreads and the same colored storage containers with a rug that ties it all together.
- Stay Organized: If you can create a system that you can keep organized you'll stay miles ahead. Benita Larsson is not only organized, but stylish too. We like her simple tip to buy things in white for a unified look. Start taking notes.
- Loft Bed: If you're really ambitious and handy with tools, consider loft bed to really get more space out of your dorm room.
- 8 Small Space Storage Solutions will help you store what you need without tripping over it every morning.
- Use the walls! Don't be afraid to go vertical to create more storage space, especially above a desk so that you can easily grab your reference texts and go.
- Though not a dorm room, Michele's space is small and she uses a loft bed, get ready to be inspired.
- Terrence Conran's Book: How to Live in Small Spaces is chock full of ideas tiny living.
If you are moving into a dorm this Fall, do you have specific questions or conundrums you'd like some help with? Leave them in the comments and we'll do our best to get you settled!