Fearless decorators, this post is for you. If you're tired of beige and greige, here are 10 inspiring talents — a loose blend of architects, product people, interior designers, and artists — who use color to full effect.
- Aimee Wilder: A wallpaper designer based in Brooklyn, Aimee makes bright patterns inspired by pop culture. Her style is fun, playful, and not-too-serious.
- Nickey Kehoe / NK Interiors: Based out of Los Angeles, Todd Nickey and Amy Kehoe have an eclectic eye that often mixes the French flea market look with psychedelic hippie-chic style.
- Rafael de Cardenas: This young New York designer has an overarching aesthetic that's geometric, colorful, and sort of feels like disco-meets-Japanese-arcade.
- Scholten and Baijings: Amsterdam design duo Stefan Scholten and Carole Baijings are masters of modern neon plaid — see their blankets for Thomas Eyck and their bedding for Danish company Hay.
- Jennifer Delonge: A designer based in Southern California, Jennifer focuses on colorful modern family homes. She also has a collection of kids' furniture and accessories.
- Retrouvius: Located in London, this combination shop and design studio specializes in what they describe as "mad and quirky pieces," like the giant yellow HELP poster shown above.
- naturehumaine: This Montreal architecture firm designs residential and gallery spaces that serve as elegant backdrops for bright, large-scale artwork. Their work is interesting — not so much because it's colorful on its own — but because it complements high-key color so well.
- Haas & Hahn: Dutch artist/designers Jeroen Koolhaas and Dre Urhahn work under the name Haas&Hahn. They're best known their Favela paintings in Brazil — a project that involves decorating neighborhoods with giant rainbow-colored murals.
- Jeanine Hays: A blogger-turned-textile-designer, Jeanine Hays of AphroChic makes pillows, table linens, and wallpaper in super-saturated patterns.
- Ghislaine Viñas: Born in the Netherlands and raised in South Africa, this New York interior designer uses color fearlessly.
ATVideo of the Day