Collections: My friend happens to have a trove of colorful, patterned cigar boxes. Instead of letting them keep languishing in a drawer, I stacked several of them around her apartment. Maybe you collect figurines or stones, ticket stubs or records; whatever it is, displaying them in an organized way will add a creative personalized touch. See the links below for ideas for corralling your collection.
Souvenirs: Travel finds are another great ways to add character to your home — highlight them! My friend is lucky enough to have traveled to some very interesting places, and I helped her find spots on her tables and shelves for her Russian nesting dolls, Tanzanian "crown" and necklace, and Uzbek tile. We also used colorful foreign money as art in an Ikea frame.
Your wardrobe: When your budget and your space are tight, make your stylish duds and accessories do double-time as decor. Hang them neatly (Images 1, 2, 3, and 7), and the clothes and jewelry will add color and texture to the room.
Storage: If you, like me, have lots of little knickknacks, try rotating them. Keeping a portion stored away can not only help you avoid clutter but also make your possessions feel like new when you rediscover them.
MORE RESOURCEFUL DISPLAYS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Creating Displays Out of Ordinary Objects
• From the Guys: Collections on Display from Our Archives
• Artistically Displayed Collections
• Flickr Finds: 10 Best Collectibles Display Ideas
• How to Show Off Your (Fashion) Style at Home
• Creating a Practical and Beautiful Jewelry Display
• Look! Frame Your Records With a Little Color
• The Best Ways To Display Your Tech Collections
• Wardrobe Organization: Hat Storage & Display
Images 1. Pure Style Home 2. Amanda Johnson for Apartment Therapy 3. Kim Rinehimer for Apartment Therapy 4. Lindsay Wood for Apartment Therapy 5. Design*Sponge 6. Infarrantly Creative 7. Sarah Rae Trover for Apartment Therapy 8. Lauren Naimola for Design*Sponge 9. Gregory Sparks for Apartment Therapy 10. Sonia Smith