It's not the ideal machine for anything but washing clothes. If you're stuck in a pinch, however, one of these home hack tips might save your hide, because you will surely find yourself in the midst of that completely inexplicable moment in the future when you need to:
- Clean plush toys. Even if their tags warn against it, most plush toys are OK for a clean spin through the washer. Just stash them into a few mesh laundry bags and wash in cold water on the gentle cycle before air-drying.
- Defrost frozen foods. In a freezer bag on the delicate setting, frozen foods get a quick and safe defrost from the cold water setting in your washing machine.
- Deep clean sneakers. With laces removed and stashed in a mesh laundry bag, sneakers get a deep clean on the cool water setting. Let them air dry—no dryer spin for your trainers.
- Freshen up your vacuum filter. If your vacuum has a foam filter, it's all good to get a rinse in the washer. Throw it in with your towels on a hot cycle.
- Wash baseball caps. The Ball Cap Buddy Cap Washer is designed to let baseball hats keep their shape inside the washing machine or dishwasher.
- Clean salad greens for a crowd. If you're prepping salad for a crowd, skip the tiny sink and rinse your greens in the washing machine. Put leaves in a pillowcase and spin them in cold water on a gentle cycle.