There’s green and red. Green, red and white. Red and white. Red, white and silver. Traditional holiday colors are, well, traditional in the sense that the combination of those particular colors says “Christmas!” But what about those who desire a slightly different palate?There was a time, in the 1980’s, when my mom switched our holiday décor from traditional green and red to lavender and pink, which was more consistent with our then-decorated pastel living room. She searched all over to find the pink tree lights and had beautiful pink and lavender bows made to decorate the evergreen tree. She elaborately wrapped unfilled boxes with wrapping paper in subtle hues of blues, pinks, purples and yellows and staged them throughout the house to continue our pastel-themed Christmas. It was truly beautiful and stylish.
Mom no longer uses a pastel theme but you still won’t see traditional colors in her Christmas themes. She now decorates her spare and modern bronze tree (more a piece of sculpture than a traditional tree) with sparkly lime green ornaments for a monochromatic masterpiece. And she still makes sure that the presents under the tree match the décor for a spectacularly singular color scheme.
There are so many unique color combinations that can evoke the spirit of the holidays. Some of us choose an inspiration to lead the colors, such as beach theme using subtle hues of sand and surf. Or some of us may just love a particular color combination, like preppy pink and green. Whatever colors you choose do it fully and whole-heartedly. Fill your space with touches of your colors and you will easily create a festive room no matter what colors you choose.
Top row, left to right:
1. Electric blue, green and orange wreath from CB2
2. Neutral gray and white at West Elm
3. Multicolored and mismatched ribbons from Southern Living
Image: Robbie Caponetto
4. Silver and blue and sparkly from Southern Living
Image: Monica Buck
5. Seashell whites and creams from Neiman Marcus
Bottom row, left to right:
6. Chartruese and chocolate at Neiman Marcus
7. Bright jewel tones from Crate & Barrel
8. Purple, silver and white at Crate & Barrel
9. Shocking pink, blue, purple and green at Grandin Road
10. Preppy pink and green Lilly Pulitzer from Peppermint Palm
(Image 3: Southern Living/Robbie Caponetto and Image 4: Southern Living/Monica Buck)