Most people simply rely on apps to expand the utility and capabilties of their smartphone. But there are certain tasks that require specific hardware add-ons, like medical monitoring or even something as chilling as radiation monitoring. Check out these unusual smartphones and accessories that can make your smartphone that much smarter...
1. The Radiation-Detecting Case by DoCoMo: In post-Fukushima Japan, it makes sense to be able to detect the ambient radiation level, allowing you to ensure that you're never exposed to much radiation. DoCoMo has also developed cases that allow the measurements of ultraviolet rays and body fat percentages.
2. iDevice Blood Pressure Monitor: Heart rate monitors for smartphones are about a dime a dozen, but this device from Withings allows you to check your blood pressure. It's compatible with a host of different iOS devices and will be available soon.
3. BlackBerry 9980 Limited Edition: This BlackBerry popped up on a Chinese website, so it hasn't yet been established if it's really the 9980, but it sure looks like the BalckBerry from the future.
4. Nissan Intelligent Key Handsets:
This svelte handset also doubles as an electronic key for your Nissan. The handsets are made by Sharp and they are currently only available in Japan. They feature dedicated buttons to lock/unlock doors and to start/stop your engine.
5. Smart Baby Monitor: This is also from Withings and it's compatible with your iPhone. It allows you to monitor your baby, from basically anywhere. The product is supposed to be released this Autumn.
The Smartphone Upgrade Guide
Does Your Smartphone Need Anti-Virus Protection?
(DoCoMo case via DVice)