Shelley Rickey, a Rotterdam based artist, makes unique ukuleles out of upcycled materials like cigar boxes, place mats and metal tea canisters. Her musical instruments are sure to be a talking piece whether you are playing them or not! Find out how to make your own ukulele here. Bust Magazine recently featured Shelley Rickey's ukulele tutorial. The PDF may be downloaded here.
From the tutorial:
Material cost: Under 20 bucks!
Building time: 1 to 3 days, depending on your craftiness. In any case, it is always a good idea to take your time.
- Cigar Box,
- 4 Tubers,
- Ukulele Strings,
- Wood Glue,
- Wooden plank,
- Hard wood (tiny piece),
- Linseed Oil or Bee's Wax Furniture Polish,
- Small Plastic Cable Zip Ties (12)
- Energy-Free Entertaining: Host a Jam Session
- Amplify your iPhone's Music with Recycled Trumpets
- Look! Upcycled Music Stand
- Radio Revamp: A New Sound for an Antique Philco Radio
(Images: Shelley Rickey)