Shelley Rickey, a Rotterdam based artist, makes unique ukuleles out of upcycled materials like cigar boxes, place mats and metal tea canisters. Her musical instruments are sure to be a talking piece whether you are playing them or not! Find out how to make your own ukulele here.
From the tutorial:
Material cost: Under 20 bucks!
Building time: 1 to 3 days, depending on your craftiness. In any case, it is always a good idea to take your time.
- Cigar Box,
- 4 Tubers,
- Ukulele Strings,
- Wood Glue,
- Wooden plank,
- Hard wood (tiny piece),
- Linseed Oil or Bee's Wax Furniture Polish,
- Small Plastic Cable Zip Ties (12)
- Energy-Free Entertaining: Host a Jam Session
- Amplify your iPhone's Music with Recycled Trumpets
- Look! Upcycled Music Stand
- Radio Revamp: A New Sound for an Antique Philco Radio
(Images: Shelley Rickey)