This is such a fun IKEA hack! We've seen plenty of ways to dress up a Billy, but this kid & storage friendly upgrade is a nice mix of style and function.
Skill Level: Easy
Time Required: 3 Days
Project Cost: £40/$58
What You Need
- IKEA Billy Bookcase
- Spray paint black primer
- Rustins black board paint
- Notice Board Pins
- MDF wood
- Ronseal clear varnish
- Industrial door handle
- Thin wooden planks
- Ronseal dark oak varnish
- Chicken wire grid
- 2 door hinges
- Liquid nails
- Metallic leaf wax
- Make the door at the bottom of the shelf using MDF wood. Attach hinges to the bottom of the shelf using liquid nails.
- Remove the backing off the Bookcase and sand the whole bookcase with a sander.
- Attach thumb tacks to the front of the bookcase to make the faux rivets.
- Spray paint on a grey primer, then black spray paint and finish with blackboard paint.
- Brush some silver leaf wax to the front of the bookcase to give it an industrial look and seal everything with varnish.
- You can make a mini mattress for the pull down door at the bottom with foam, fabric and attach it to the back of the MDF door.
- Add a large industrial shelf
You can see more photos and instructions on Grillo Designs.
Have a really great DIY project or tutorial that you want to share with others? Let us know! We love checking out what you're making these days, and learning from our readers. When you're ready, click here to submit your project and photos.