Remember when we told you about the new magazine Urban Farm? Well, while browsing their site today hoping to download the Spring issue, we came across their list of online resources for all things local and sustainable, including their recommended beekeeping, gardening, and backyard farming blogs. We'll share a sampling of their list, and then YOU can tell us what blogs/websites you read!
Here's just a sampling from their list:
- Homegrown Evolution: written by Urban Farm contributor (and Re-Nest Guest Columnist) Erik Knutzen plus the other half of his urban-farming team, Kelly Coyne.
- Leda’s Urban Homestead: Leda Meredith’s living-green adventures in Brooklyn.
- The Urban Farmer’s Almanac: gardening, canning and chickens in Seattle.
Balcony Gardening: container gardening for the masses.
- Burbs and the Bees: suburban homesteading and beekeeping.
- L.A. Farm Girl: urban farming, agriculture and gardening.
- Ghost Town Farm: author and urban farmer Novella Carpenter.
- The Chicken Revolution: helping citizens shape chicken-keeping ordinances.
- The City Chicken: encouragement and information for keeping chickens inside city limits.
- Mad City Chickens: backyard-chicken-raising advice from Madison, Wis.
Green News & Resources
- Clean Water Action: protecting water and building communities.
- Friends of the Earth: grassroots environmental network.
- Green Edge Collaborative: N.Y.C. social network connecting people with resources for building a sustainable future.
- H2O Conserve: Focuses on water issues and solutions.
- Off-grid : covering issues and advice for a sustainable future.
- The Eat Well Guide: directory of fresh, locally grown and sustainably produced food in the United States and Canada.
- Food Routes: nonprofit organization reintroducing Americans to their food.
- Sustainable Table: celebrating local, sustainable food, providing information about food-related issues and building community through food.
- Beesource Beekeeping: online social networking and information community for beekeepers.
- New York City Beekeepers Association: Nonprofit organization for sharing knowledge and interest in beekeeping.
- Added Value: nonprofit organization providing youth empowerment and farm-based learning through a South Brooklyn urban farm.
- Urban Farming: Creating an abundance of food by planting gardens on unused land across the U.S.
- Urban Farming Advocates: individuals, business owners and organizations seeking to legalize urban farming in Los Angeles.
- D.C. Urban Gardeners: network of hundreds of people greening and making Washington, D.C.-area growing projects happen.
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council: connecting people with community garden space.
Check out the full list here. What blogs/websites do you read on a daily basis? Tell us below!
(Image: The Urban Kitchen SF)