1. Surface Cleaner:
Sprinkle some on a damp sponge and scrub bathtubs, tile, sinks, counters, even microwaves, then rinse.
2. Dish Soap: Add 2 tablespoons of it to your dishwater (along with some dish soap) to soak tough-to-remove food off dishes, pots, and pans. Use it to scrub when washing, too.
3. Sponge Freshener: Soak stinky sponges in 4 tablespoons of baking soda dissolved in 1 quart of warm water.
4. Silverware Polisher: Add 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water and rub onto silver with a clean cloth or sponge. Rinse well and dry.
5. Coffee and Tea Stain Remover: Wash mugs and coffee makers in a solution of 1/4 cup baking soda in 1 quart of warm water. Soak overnight with detergent for stubborn stains.
6. Oven Cleaner: Sprinkle baking soda onto the bottom of your oven, spray with water, then let it sit overnight. Next day, scrub the grime away.
7. Shower Curtain Cleaner: Sprinkle some on a cleaning brush and scrub your shower curtain liner, then rinse clean.
For 43 more uses for baking soda, visit Care2.com.
(Photo: Theresa Gonzalez)