One of our favorite house tours from the past month was Frances' Light Filled Haven on AT:SF. (If you haven't seen it, make sure to take a look - it's beautiful.) In Frances' kitchen, we noticed this tile that's been repurposed as a coaster/trivet and thought, what a great idea...
Tiles are heat resistant, waterproof, and available in a huge range of color and pattern. Frances, who used to work in a tile showroom, composed her mix and match set of leftovers from a project in the Mission. To start your own tile collection, use showrooms and vintage shops as a resource, or make your own patterned coasters using basic square ceramic tiles.
We've pulled together a few examples of tile trivets and coasters above:
• 1 Frances' Light-Filled Haven from AT:SF
• 2 Tile Trivets and Coasters from Images d'Orient
• 3 Make Your Own Tile Coasters with this Tutorial from Curbly
• 4 Tile Trivets and Coasters from Images d'Orient
• 5 Marble Coasters from New Dominion Blues