Last month I wrote about how my dog's New Year's resolution was to ditch the dog food and start on the 'woodchip' diet. After she chewed through all of our windowsills, the AT community was wonderful in helping me...
figure out the best way to fix it! My husband took a reader's advice and used wood epoxy, in this case J-B Weld KwikWood Epoxy Putty. See the step-by-step results below.
First, he removed any splinters and lightly sanded the damaged and surrounding area. He then pinched off a bit of wood epoxy then mashed it together to combine the layers and activate the chemical reaction. The clay-like substance was molded directly onto the damaged area. A few hours later, a second layer was applied and molded to the exact shape of the window sill.
After allowing it to dry completely overnight we sanded it down with a sanding block.
Finally, the area was repainted.
And to ensure that this doesn't happen again, we took another reader's great advice and sprayed the windowsills with Grannick's Bitter Apple Spray. Not to worry, there are no small children in this house!