Vacuum tube amps are one of the cool recent ways that old technology has been reused with a surprisingly nice result. In an age where everything is digital, there's no neglecting the fact that tube amps are old school. Just like turntables, they are still going strong and you can get surprising amps in kits or completely assembled that will outperform the most common types of stereo equipment.
1. Qinpu Tube Amplifier & HiFi Speakers: This tiny desktop tube amp will sit pretty on any desk, and with its low cost of less than $100, you'll be happy to try this vacuum tube technology out without breaking the bank.
2. Stunning Elekit Tube Amplifier By Case-Real: Case-Real's incredible tube amp is available in a kit or pre-assembled. It was designed by Koichi Futatsumata and the simple yet gorgeous device sets itself apart.
3. Woo Audio 6 Tube Headphone Amp: This somewhat expensive vacuum tube headphone amp is still gorgeous and is a good thing to have, if you need an amp for your headphones.
4. Glowing Cheaply: Inexpensive Tube Amplifiers: This roundup has a few ideas for inexpensive vacuum tube amps, which will end up costing less than $500. That's one of the strengths of this technology. You can get good quality without spending too much money.
5. DIY: Tube Amplifier Kit Build (In Recycled Box): Unlike the tube amp kits, this guide will help you create a tube amp from scratch, thanks to our colleague Peter. The resulting amp is of high quality and quite cheap to build.
(Image by Mateusz Główka)