Installing a solar water heating system could reduce your water heating bills by 50-80%. The anticipated payback of a solar water heating system is estimated at 3 to 7 years, and could qualify you for a 30% federal tax credit. Velux's solar water heating systems have three systems available depending on the size and type of your house, and the number of people in your household:
Three Available Systems:
- Roof Integrated System: have a low profile look and performance; available for tile or shingle roof applications where the roof pitch is greater than 15°; the collectors are all that can be seen on the roof—all piping and mounting hardware are located beneath the flashing system.
- SWH and Daylight Systems: solar collectors can be installed in combination with skylights or roof windows to minimize energy consumption while maximizing daylight and ventiliation. Combination systems use the same flashing systems used for stand alone skylight, roof window, or solar collector products. Systems are available for tile or shingle roof applications where the roof pitch is between 15° and 60°.
- Rack Mounted Systems: rack mounted collector systems mount on top of the roof using special rack mounting hardware; primarily for flat roof applications, or when a roof integrated system may not be feasible; allows for the installation of collectors on roofs with a pitch less than 15°, or where a variable pitch adjustment is needed to better align your collectors for maximum efficiency.
Velux Financial Incentives, according to them:
- Anticipated payback period of 3 to 7 years, in years with state and federal incentives.
- Solar energy systems can take advantage of the sun's free energy year round.
- Solar energy can be produced even at low temperatures.
- Federal tax credits help pay 30% of the system and installations costs. Many states and utilities offer additional support.
- Between tax credits and energy savings, this system offers a faster return on your investment than other types of solar energy systems.
- Lower first-time start up cost than solar photovoltaic (PV) systems.
Click here to find an installer near you for questions and to get a price estimate. See the Velux website for more information.