Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Madison, WI
- United States
- What do you love about your bedroom?:
- I love the art pieces we have the most. They have been collected over the last couple of years and are quirky but sweet. My favorite pieces are what we use to designate the 'his' and 'her' side of the bed. They are prints from a gallery called Charmingwall framed in shadow boxes, and I adore them. I think art in a bedroom is really important. Too often people don't put their best pieces in the bedroom because it's not a very public place, but I think you need something for just yourselves - like our "You Are Here" print, which I gave my fiance for Valentine's day this year...very out of character for me, I am not sentimental in the least, but the science-y aspect drew me to it.
- What are your tips for creating a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom?
- You need to have a storage solution that can be closed or covered in some way. I know I can't feel relaxed if I can see clothing or shoes in my line of vision when laying in bed. When we moved in, we had just one bar to hang clothes on in the closet and a small dresser. We've since rebuilt the interior of the closet with more shelving and bars and upgraded our dresser so everything has a place.
The other thing you need is a comfortable reading environment. For me, that means a headboard to lean up against, a good light, and somewhere to put my book within arms reach.
- In modern homes, bedrooms have become more than just a place to sleep; they can be a retreat, a home office, a library, a relaxation zone. What are some ways you make the most of your bedroom?
- Since our space is so small, we really use it primarily for sleeping and reading. But, having lived in other places where the bedroom was also the office, I know that it is crucial to be able to designate the spaces for what they're intended to be used for, and not to cross over. Or else you'll end up working from bed...all the time. Or worse, eating lunch in bed. None of that in our house.
See all entries
More posts in this series
My Bedroom Retreat