Primitive 64 drawer apothecary cupboard. Handmade and custom-made. Red Rooster Bab
on Etsy, $899.
Vintage and reproduction cabinets are not only beautiful conversation pieces, they are infinitely practical, providing an original a way to organize anything from arts and crafts supplies to tax documents. Many are display cabinets and shop shelving systems known in England and Commonwealth countries as "shop fittings." Others are vocational artifacts and equipment originally designed for a specialized trade…
Apothecary cabinets were used by apothecaries, a now obsolete term for medical professionals who formulate and dispense medicines and supplies for caregivers (today's pharmacists). Other pieces were originally used to store and organize items ranging including blue prints, machinists' tools, sewing supplies, printers' materials, and library card catalog systems. Some lend an industrial, medical or manufacturing edge to your decor, while others evoke the well-worn coziness of that archetypal shop around the corner.
• 1 Primitive 64 drawer apothecary cupboard. Handmade and custom-made. Red Rooster Bab on Etsy, $899.
• 2 Illusorio Cabinet. This reclaimed pine cupboard looks like antique drafting trays, but actually has three roomy drawers and on three hidden shelves. Anthropologie, $1,698.
• 3 Vintage blue cabinet. ABC Carpet and Home, $395.
• 4 1940s vintage industrial library drawers storage cabinet. Made of steel with a time-worn patina. Modern 50, $445.
• 5 Urbn sideboard. ABC Carpet and Home, $2,395.
• 6 Quin cabinet. Home Decorators Collection, $499.
• 7 Early 1920's vintage medical heavy gauge steel compartmentalized operating room supply cabinet. Urban Remains, $995.
• 8 Walnut and pine 12-drawer collectors cabinet from the late 19th century. Ruby Lane, $950.
• 9 8-drawer golden tiger oak cabinet. Described as an "antique stacking blue print cabinet/artist paint cabinet/pocket watch collectors cabinet." Burchard Galleries.
• 10 Made for a Victorian printing shop in the 1890's, a signed "Hamilton" 25 drawer type file cabinet. Harp Gallery. (SOLD)
• 11 In the style of an early 1900 toolbox from a French automobile factory. Handcrafted of iron and held with exposed rivets. Restoration Hardware, $1,595+.
• 12 Collectors cabinet. Cottage Home Maine, $1,495.
• 13 Vintage library card cabinet. eBay, $399.
• 14 Vintage 1950s SteelMaster index card catalog/file cabinet from a recently shuttered machine factory. Austin Modern on Etsy, $325.
• 15 Antique large apothecary cabinet in white. This 18-drawer cabinet is made completely out of wood and came from an old pharmacy in Pennsylvania. The Corner Store BK on Etsy, $975.
Images: as linked above