A couple friends sent this DIY Instructables desk project over my way today knowing it was just about this time last year when I tried to walk and work from a treadmill desk at Dwell on Design. I couldn't quite get the hang of it within my short session, but the dream of working from a treadmill desk has stuck. Maybe one day I'll be able to hack one together (and find the room for one) like cessenburg did with this affordable desk modification...
The task of converting an adjustable desk into an active movement treadmill and standing workstation was affordably realized thanks to a used $80 Craigslist treadmill and a $50 adjustable desk purchased locally. Everything else required for the project cessenburg already had around, and soon after cleaning and stationing the moving platform he was working from his very own treadmill desk. He shares a few notes from his experience from working from his new desk:
1. I had a 25' long VGA cord with a 3.5mm audio jack, so my computer tower is tucked away in a corner leaving a cleaner look and more room on the desk.
2. A wireless mouse and keyboard are great for the same reason.
3. I simply slide the monitor over when I am on the treadmill - takes me about 15 seconds to raise the desk to the correct height.
4. I have a stool that I can sit on that works at my standing height - it takes awhile to be able to stand all day.
5. Invest in some good insoles and a nice pair of shoes for the treadmill. I use a pair of Cushies when I am on my treadmill - they are comfortable and also look nice enough that if I forget to change back to my dress shoes for a meeting.
6. Be prepared to be a bit of a show for awhile if you are the first in your workplace to move to a standing or treadmill desk - they will stop by.
7. Persistence - your feet will be sore and you will need to figure out the best speed to walk and for how long - but it will get better and you will be more productive and have more energy throughout the day.
More photos and details of cessenburg's Instructables DIY Treadmill Desk project here.