, IKEA, $300. Modular shelving so you can personalize your wardrob
Wardrobes are a great way to add storage space to older homes with small closets. You can hang clothes inside, and most have extra shelving for folded items. In addition to being practical, wardrobes can also be a gorgeous centerpiece for a bedroom. Most American homes built before the 1950's had less closet space because, in general, people owned less clothing. It's hard to believe, but sometimes a couple kept their entire wardrobe in one wardrobe, hence the name. Also, clothes needed to be enclosed in a small space in order to protect the fabric from environmental elements, like moths. However, wardrobes will always serve a purpose for those who live in tight urban quarters. Extra shelving keeps clutter under control and enclosing the clothes behind doors helps maintain a clean aesthetic. The concept of a wardrobe might be old fashioned, but many modern designs are sleek. Below is a selection of stylish wardrobes for many budgets:
• Century Wardrobe, CB2, $699.
• Larissa Screen Door Armoire, Posh Tots $7,425.
• Iannone Design Graphic Armoire, 2Modern, $3,995.
• Bonne Nuit Grand Armoire, Posh Living, $4,800.
• Elga Wardrobe, IKEA, $300. Modular shelving so you can personalize your wardrobe.
• Mirrored Armoire, Neiman Marcus, $1,739. In case you're really low on space, this armoire can double as storage and full length mirror.
• Stanley Young America Ma Marie Armoire, Layla Grayce, $1,929. Pink and french with flourish, this wardrobe is perfect for a feminine look.
• AR-16 Armoire/Media Cabinet, Home Portfolio. This wardrobe is both luxurious and simple.
• Bento Kona Chifforobe, Crate & Barrel, $1,899. Inspired by Japanese design, this practical piece has ample drawer space.
• Wilshire Armoire, The Furniture Domain, $1,529. The perfect addition to any shabby chic decor.