Probably the greenest way to redecorate a space is to do so without buying anything new. Thankfully, the green choice here is also the budget-friendly choice. Here are some of our favorite ways to do this. Read our list and then share your own ideas!
• Rearrange the furniture. Whether you rearrange it to soak up more sunlight in the fall and winter seasons, or just to be more accommodating for extra anticipated guests this holiday season, a change of scenery can be good for the soul. Borrow from other rooms and shake things up. You might be pleasantly surprised.
• Bring in organic decor: branches, leaves, fruits and vegetables; everything that is beautiful outside will probably make a beautiful statement indoors.
• Borrow something from a friend. Consider this a bigger version of a book swap: Find friends who want to shake up their household, too; maybe swap chairs, throw pillows, or artwork, with the intention to swap back later (or not!).
• Take stock of supplies you have (paint, scrap wood, fabric), and decide on a DIY project. Build a side table, reupholster a seat, or paint an accent wall. Or think a little smaller and make an original piece of art.
• Do some deep cleaning. Our home always feels more, well, homey after we clean. We forget how good it can look after a few hours of well-placed intention. Put things in their place, and if they don't have a place, find one for 'em.
Those are a few of our ideas for zero-penny makeovers. Share yours, too!
(Image: Flickr member Jeremy Levine Design licensed under Creative Commons.)