Once regulated to high school hallways, metal lockers have made a steady comeback to modern homes. And we couldn't be happier! They're solid for the wear, they keep your stuff locked up safe inside and—if these real-life home offices are any indication—they look damn good mixed up in plenty of different room vibes.
Ikea has made getting locker style easy with their Ikea PS Cabinet ($99) and the Ikea PS Laptop Workstation ($59). But you can also get vintage locker style by shopping at thrift stores or refurbished office supply warehouses.
Check out these pictures for inspiration:
- This office from Jeremy Levine Design packs a punch. Holding so many things beautifully, it's amazing there's anything left to store in under-desk red lockers.
- Flickr user mycatfredisfat channels the industrial style of their loft into a cool stacking locker-style file cabinet.
- Anna at Door Sixteen uses Ikea's PS Cabinet as an office sideboard.
- And the PS cabinet works perfectly as a printer area, as Flickr user hillarriet shows us.
- Jaypeecee customizes Ikea's compact and locker-styled Laptop Workstaton with DIY cork surfaces, giving a soft edge to the hard lines.
- Flickr user KBreenBo mixes and matches her short locker with Ikea's taller industrial file cabinet (Helmer, $40) and manages to make them look soft in her sunroom.
- Perfect for kids (or the young-at-heart), bright lockers lend a playful vibe to a desk, in this pic from magruderkids.
- Flickr user maliburachel chooses a green locker set against light green walls for a visual pop in her office.
- But lockers can work well in neutral rooms too. Here Daniel James Hatton stashes his goods in (and on!) a white Ikea PS cabinet beneath a glass-top table.
- Steal this idea from a UK College (via jisc_infonet): A cabinet with a bunch of lockable cubbies is a great idea for big families or roommates who share an office.