10 Ideas for Alternative Rug Uses:
- Lamp Shade: We have seen may DIY and custom lamp shades. Lighting plays a significant role in the interior of a home. Why not try to push the envelope further and try using a decorative rug as the shade.
- Upholstery: Using a decorative rug as upholstery or on an ottoman or a chair as shown in the opening photo, would make a strong design statement.
- Ceiling Treatment: We would be interested to see a fine rug being used as an accent on a ceiling. We see this working best if the rug is inset with a tray ceiling.
- Duvet: A softer rug could work nice as a duvet that is paired with down feather filling.
- Artwork: Both contemporary and traditional rugs are crafted with such attention to detail and with beautiful designs that they start to take on an artistic value.
- Headboard: Fabric headboards are very popular, so it is no surprise that rugs have made their way into headboard design.
- Luxe Placemats: Can you imagine going to a party and the placements had the thickness and design quality of a fine rug? What a fantastic design statement.
- Top or Side of a Table: We could see one of the rugs pictured above being used as the top or on the side of a side table.
- Affixed to doors: Interior doors have become decorative in their materials and design. The next step may be to affix a beautiful stylized rug to the door. It would help with the acoustics of the room. This may work best in children's rooms, but I would be curious to see this pulled off as a real design idea.
- Yoga Mat: If you are like us, you probably get frustrated be how slippery rubber yoga mats can be. A small runner rug may do just the trick and we wouldn't mind doing yoga in style.
- Pet Beds: Some of us love to spoil our pets whenever possible. If you are up for a small DIY project, constructing a pet bed using a rug as the material would be very glamourous.
When considering the alternative uses for rugs, it is important to chose the right rug for its purpose. Some rug designs and materials work much better than others.
Has anyone tried any of alternative rug uses? Can you add any suggestions to the list?