Here in Chicago, we've turned the corner into some cold weather that feels like it will stick around for a while. This weekend, we're planning on stripping down the bed, cleaning it from head to foot, and then piling on some new layers that will see us through the winter...
To update your bed for winter, you don't have to spend a lot. Cleaning your bedding and turning the mattress is one of the most important parts of refreshing your bedroom. Below, we've included steps to change things up, whether you want to go the no-cost route and just give the bed a good deep clean, or you want to shop for something new.
Clean the bed.
• Remove sheets, blankets, and comforter.
• Wash them.
• Flip your mattress.
• Move the bed and clean under it.
Consider adding winter layers.
• If you need an extra blanket, add one to your shopping list.
• If your bed needs a pick-me-up, consider new sheets or quilt.
• If you're on a budget, start small with a throw blanket or pillow.
• For tips on interpreting thread count, click here.
• For Apartment Therapy's favorite modern bedding, click here.
• For places to find bedding on sale, click here.
• How To: Build a Colorful Winter Bed
• 10 Different Ways to Dress the Bed
• Shopping for Bedding: Tips from Designer Bryant Keller
Photos: Dwell Thicket Duvet, Pine Cone Hill Bedding, Unison Porter Bedding